There’s nothing quite as wonderful as being back at mum’s for a good old home-cooked meal. For Mother’s Day this year, we got the mums of DC team to share some of their (And our!) favourite recipes; from quick and delightful one bowl meals, to traditional family classics and toasty bakes. So from our kitchen to yours, we hope you enjoy these recipes made with love! For delicious fried rice with a Korean-twist, Andrea’s mum, Jeannie, shares her Kimchi Fried Rice recipe, served with fragrant pan-fried minced beef and eggs. You’ll love this flavourful main dish because it’s filling, has a subtle tangy spice and so piquant!
Jeannie’s Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe
2 cups of medium grain rice, cooked with 1 ¾ cups of water
300g minced lean beef
180g kimchi, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
3-4 stalks spring onions, sliced thinly
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp of brown sugar
Marinade for minced beef:
½ tsp of corn flour
¼ tsp pepper
2 tbsp of soya sauce
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 piece nori sheet, cut thinly
4 eggs, fried
1. Cook the rice. After the rice is cooked, scoop it out from the rice cooker/pot and let it cool down (for about 30-40 mins) before cooking.
2. When the rice has cooled, toast it in a pan over a small fire until it turns slightly brown. Then, set aside.
3. To fry the beef: Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the marinated minced beef and fry till cooked. Then, add 1 tsp of brown sugar, stir well and set aside.
4. To fry the rice: Add 1 tbsp of olive oil, the garlic and spring onions (white part) to a pan and cook for 2 mins. Then, add kimchi and cook for another 2 mins. Next, add the rice and 3 tbsp soy sauce and mix well. Then, add 2 tbsp of sesame oil.
5. Finally, add the cooked minced beef along with the rest of the spring onions. Fry the rice for another 5-7 mins.
6. Fry your eggs however you like them.
7. To serve: Top the kimchi fried rice with sesame seeds, nori seaweed and fried eggs. Enjoy!
This Mother’s Day, we celebrate all mothers and empowering mother figures alike in a series of dedicated content. From our stories to yours; memories, dreams and fears — join us in the occasion. Happy Mother’s Day!