Singapore may be in an invincible summer, but if there’s any season that feels a little more like what it should be, I’d probably go with spring. The rainy season sure brought on some sweater-weather, wet spring vibes. Then a warmer spring when Chinese New Year comes around, with the blooming of pussy willows, peach blossoms, and riveting poppy hues abound. Speaking of which, tomorrow is Chinese New Year eve and we hope you’re feeling the buzz (which we have been…for the past week). Does anyone also do that thing where you constantly attempt to “out-do” your own CNY get-ups year on year? If you’ve been busy putting together your New Year look, we’ve got ideas (as usual)! Ahead of CNY 2021, we present our #SheByDC Spring 2021 Makeup Edit, featuring 3 of our favourite springtime looks inspired by this season’s blooms!
One of my personal favourite spring trends of recent times has to be the wet skin look. There’s just something so endlessly delicate and sleek about clear, glimmering skin! This one is inspired by the graceful lotus that we imagined on a rainy spring morning. Glowy touches all throughout the look bring everything together. Add a drop of facial oil to your base for extra dewiness, and liquid highlighter to illuminate high points. The eyes make the look: we went with pink cantaloupe hues and a pop of lipgloss (the classic trick), for glossy lids that’ll catch the sun and attention *wink*. For something extra immaculate, we matched the lip colour to the eyes with a soft coral lippie (plus a touch of gloss for thorough brilliance). We’re feeling ethereal!
Tip: Instead of using a bronzing powder for contour, try a powder foundation that’s half to one shade darker for lighter, my-skin-but-better shading.
- Skin: Beigic Regenerating Oil
- Base: Nudestix Nudefix Cream Concealer #Nude 1
- Brows: Excel Powder & Pencil Eyebrow 3-in-1
- Eyes: Etude House Play Colour Eyes #Strawberry Milk, Canmake Quick Lash Curler Long Mascara #Brown, Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb #Fenty Glow, Excel Colour Lasting Gel Liner #Chocolate
- Blush: Milani Baked Blush #Luminoso
- Illuminating & shading: Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Powder Foundation #200, Sunnies Face Face Glass #Cosmic Girl
- Lips: Chantecaille Le Matte Stylo #Snapdragon
- Hair: Percy & Reed Perfectly Perfecting Wonder Balm
A blushed and radiant look for weekend adventures, also our favourite way to let the cheeks take centre stage. We used a peachy-mandarin lipstick as a cream blush for something more blendable (and seamless) — keep your blush wide and diffused for that flushed look. To keep everything neat and balanced, go easy on the eyes and lips. We like a sheer pop of pale tangerine on the eyelids and slightly extended eyeliner (but no wing) for an elegant oomph! Hold the voluminising mascaras go for a length-enhancing formula, so your wispy lashes can add to the dreamy vibes. Effortless lips are key: we picked a melon-orange hue for the perfect springtime nude.
Tip: For glassy highlights, try using a lip gloss on the high points of your face in place of your usual highlighter!
- Base: Jung Saem Mool Skin Nuder Foundation #Fair-Light, Nudestix Nudefix Cream Concealer #Nude 3
- Brows: Benefit Cosmetics Precisely, My Brow Eyebrow Pencil
- Eyes: Kose Esprique Select Eye Colour #OR204, Make Up For Ever Aqua Resist Smoky Shadow #Desert, Lilybyred AM9 to PM9 Survival Colorcara #01 Choco Brown
- Blush: MAC Powder Kiss Lipstick #Scattered Petals
- Illuminating: Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro Lip Gloss #500
- Lips: Hera Sensual Spicy Nude Gloss #105
Tulip & Gold
If you’re not that into whimsical spring looks, here’s our take on a slightly more sultry springtime get-up! The lips make the look, we went with an infallible classic deep red matte. To complement a powdered-down pout, try a powder foundation instead for velvety, shine-free skin. While we kept contouring to a minimum before, chiseled lines give this look that definition and edginess we love. In fact, do without blush for extra chic, almost boy beat vibes. Add a neutral pop of shimmer on the lids for something dressier if you’re wearing this for a festive occasion (like CNY)!
Tip: Tame your tresses with your favourite hair treatment/oil and pair this look with slick, frizz-free hair!
- Skin: Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream
- Base: Make Up For Ever Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder #Y245, Nudestix Nudefix Cream Concealer #Nude 5.5
- Brows: Excel Powder & Pencil Eyebrow 3-in-1
- Eyes: Etude House Play Colour Eyes #Banana Milk, Canmake Quick Easy Eyeliner #01 Black
- Shading: Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Bronzer #3 Tan
- Lips: NARS Air Matte Lip Colour #Pin Up
- Hair: L’Oréal Paris Extraordinary Oil with Real Rose Infusion
I would wish for Chinese New Year to happen more often, but I’d probably be grossly unhealthy as a result. While the festivities may feel a little mellower this year, we hope you have a fantastic and safely-distanced CNY, nonetheless. From all of us at The DC Edit, Happy Chinese New Year!
Cheers to pineapple tarts,